Monday, 5 August 2013

South African Holiday - Part 3 - My Birthday

This year I turned 40, and I wanted to celebrate it on home soil. What I had forgotten, though, was mentioning to Trev some years ago, whilst watching something on telly about skydiving, that I wouldn't mind doing that for my 40th. And whilst I knew he had a surprise planned, I had NO idea, right up to the point we arrived at the field. I didn't even have anything with me to tie my hair back!
 
One minute we were driving along and I was happily lost in thought recognising the old road to Mid Illovo we used to travel on to visit my uncle when we were children. Next minute we were parking next to a small airfield.

As fate would have it, my father-in-law decided against confirming the booking on the morning, and so our time slot wasn't reserved, and we landed up waiting in the heat for over four hours. Maxine was really good, all things considered. This picture is while we were waiting, and it is a favourite.


My initial nerves had long gone by the time I went up....I was just desperately trying to remember what I had to do (they'd done the presentation shortly after we'd arrived, and several hours had passed!)

But I did get nervous as my time neared to jump....I even struggled to get my legs to co-operate out of the plane. And I forgot one of the most important instructions 'open your arms back once we've done the free fall and I tap your shoulder'. I felt him tapping....and tapping.....and it still didn't register. Eventually he pulled my arms open!


It was breath-taking.....literally, I was terrified during the free-fall bit.....it was just so fast! And then we were gracefully swaying in the air.....absolutely awesome!


My favourite bit of all was just after we landed and Maxine came running up to me and gave me the biggest hug ever......just priceless!
Please also note the pink and green/blue nail polish that Maxine had bought me for my birthday and made me paint on that morning.

I did wonder afterwards why my neck was quite sore. It was only when I saw the video and photos afterwards that I realised one of the straps had slipped and was pulling against my neck.


All in all, an AWESOME experience....and as much as I enjoyed it, I am pleased to say that I don't feel the need to do it again, but, equally, I am well chuffed to say that skydived for my 40th!
 
Hmmm......what shall I do for my 50th?!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow...the photos of your jump is fantastic...what a wonderful memory to preserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to have you back, love reading your blog. Love the photos. Love that you went back home. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete