Friday, 20 January 2012

Weekly Update - Progress in some areas

Aah...it's been a good week on many levels.

This morning we had another injection round for Maxine, which is never a pleasant experience. The last time she screamed so loud my heart broke. So this time I decided I was going to use the old tried and tested 'diversionary tactic' - I pre-ordered a new Nintendo game for her (one I hadn't bought for Christmas, with this injection in mind). And she was that excited about her new Beyblade game (which I had been slowly building her up about since yesterday) that she barely noticed the injection...certainly didn't notice mid-way through when we had to swap to a larger needle and jab her again!

The only lecture I got as I dropped her off at school was making her miss the Breakfast club! So, a success all in all........the next one is in April again, so need to start planning that one.

Other progress was that we received the proposal for her amended educational statement on Monday. Although I must confess that, typically 'me', I got my knickers in a right twist because I didn't see everything clearly spelled out in the proposal. However I sent it through to the head teacher of the new school, and she confirmed it was everything she needed, the only thing left was for us as parents to nominate the new school in our response. So that's all done and dusted and progressing nicely now. (It's a fairly significant change to her statement, so there was a strong possibility they could have requested additional referrals and assessments, which, thankfully they haven't.)

I discovered a bronze merit badge in Maxine's room earlier this week, where she'd hidden it (she hates us making a fuss of her, so seldom tells us about her awards). She'd received it last Friday, during assembly for earning 25 'smilies'. So proud of our little honey!

And last night I couldn't get her to put her reading book down....she read out loud to me for over half an hour....how awesome is that for the one who we didn't know would be able to speak. Makes me want to cry every time I remember how blessed we are with our little Minky. Maxine's class teacher this year is really special.....she so 'gets' Maxine....and Maxine is trying so hard because of it, progressing nicely up the reading levels. Her reading is actually better than some of her peers...how cool is that!

On Tuesday, Maxine attended her first 'Mad Science' after-school club, where they learn about science in a fun, interesting way. I love that she wants to do stuff like this, and I love that she has access to stuff like this.

And, lastly, this week has been a tiring week, because our childminder went on holiday with her husband (to celebrate his 50th), so I've been doing school runs every day........it's made me appreciate, once again, just how finely balanced my life is in order to make it run seemlessly (or look like it does anyway!). Tiring also because Maxine is back in 'early waking' mode, so we've had two 5am starts zzzzzzzzzz (I was in bed asleep by 10pm last night! Only to have a 5.30 Maxine start this morning!)

That's it from me. I know I sound like a stuck record, but I feel so truly blessed to have met Trevor, have had Maxine, and to feel the love I do from the two of them.


I don't know where I would be without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment