After my dad passed away in 2001, my mum was left living with my brother and his then wife (now ex).
I became increasingly concerned for my mum's well-being, so I arranged for my mum to come over to England 'on holiday'. I only bought a one-way ticket. I had no intention of letting her go back.
I had genuine concern for her safety.
I was ashamed the day I fetched her from the airport.....she had holes in her clothes and shoes.
As much as I wasn't happy that I had deceived my brother, I was determined to show my mum the dignity and respect she deserved.
Mum stayed with us for a few months, but she's not an easy lady to live with, and I couldn't cope.
I got her set up in a flat scheme, called 'sheltered accommodation' - where it's mainly elderly people staying there and there is a warden who keeps an eye on the old dears.
I'd go round on a weekly basis, taking groceries, cleaning, etc. More often if needed.
And of course, bring her round to ours for visits.
It worked quite well, and mum stayed there for about 5 years.
But in 2009 she had a fall while Trev and I were away for a few days. We got back to the message she'd been taken in to hospital. I almost died when I saw her.
I refused to let the hospital discharge her back to her flat because she'd been falling more and more frequently and I felt she needed additional care. After several months, we found a place in a local care home, where she remained until her passing last year. I have nothing but praise for their care of my mum during her time there.
So, goodnight my sweet mum.
Thank you for our time together.
Thank you for your kind words and your gentleness.
Thank you for entrusting me with your secrets.
Thank you for making me the person I am today.
Thank you for being my mum.
I am so proud to be your daughter.



Thank you for sharing your journey Mariette...and you really honoured your mom until her death xx
ReplyDelete