Sunday, 20 April 2014

Travel Journal - The Long Drive to Kota Kinabalu

 
The next day, Thursday, we were travelling to Kota Kinabalu, on the other side of the island of Borneo.
It's a six hour drive.
Florence had booked us to go on a cruise boat on the Friday evening, for something different to do. My brother hadn't been keen, but I supported Florence, and girl power prevailed.
 
Gambling is not allowed in Malaysia, so these cruise-liners load people up for the night, take them out into the ocean....let them gamble the night away.....and then drop everyone off the next morning.
Again, we met up with Florence's mom and a couple of her sisters (two of whom I'd met before).
 
We left home slightly late than planned as Karl had been busy with work in the morning, and then we were back in 'rush-rush' mode. So I resorted to trying to take pictures out the car window, because Karl just never thought to stop so that I could take pictures. (I lie, he stopped twice for me to take pictures, and promised we would stop at some of the other places when we drove back and had more time.....yeh yeh)
 
 
Typical Malaysian housing, a mixture of wooden inbetween brick houses.


Some beautiful views along the way.
 

 
Many parts of the forest are being cleared and replaced by Palm Oil trees. This removal of the natural habitat is causing a lot of problems, least of which is soil erosion and landslides. Florence was telling me how she was caught in one such landslide last year, when a tree fell on her car.....she was really lucky, but a very scary experience to go through. The state of some sections of the road were quite horrific, and showed how much of a problem this is.



 


My 'arty' picture of the holiday, taken from a bridge.
 

 
My sister-in-law loved taken pictures of me taking pictures!


Mount Kinabalu. Breath-taking!
 

 
We arrived late evening and checked into our hotel for the night, before going out for a quick dinner.
 
I was feeling a bit anxious with us being away as I couldn't use data roaming on my company mobile, and I was worrying about Trevor, who I knew had had an argument with his mother, and had also been for additional testing with the specialist. He was now talking surgery, so I made him promise me he wouldn't have it until I came home.
And it was Maxine's World Book Day on the Friday morning, for which I'd ordered a dress and a wig for the big day.....it was a big deal for her, and I wanted to make sure she was okay.
 
 
 Here she is....Princess Zelda....from Skyward Sword (not just any Zelda costume or wig, please note!)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment