Sunday, 27 April 2014

Travel Journal - Boat trip around Beluran

 
The next morning was another early start for my brother to open the station and sort out some deliveries. Later Florence joined him, and I was happy to wait for them to finish their bits before doing something together.
 
Next minute My brother arrived and, in his usual rushing manner, starting asking me why I wasn't ready, and to hurry as 'they' were waiting for me. My brother had been on at Flo to arrange a boat ride for me on the river around Beluran, which they had arranged that morning.....but forgot to tell me!
 
I was really annoyed when I realised I'd forgotten to put 'outside' shoes on before leaving the house, and was in the pair of size 6 flip flops Florence had bought for me when I arrived (I'm a size 4).
It's just the whole 'rushing' way that I am not used to, and it doesn't suit me.
 
Anyway, on to the boat trip, which had meant a great deal to my brother to organise for me.
And it was lovely. But again, just Florence and I, my brother chose to stay at the station.
 

It was very definitely nature undisturbed.
 

 
Cheeky monkey.
 

Local fishermen.
 


 



















 
 My lovely sister-in-law.

 
The back of the station, also serving many customers with fuels for their boats, not just cars.
 
It was a lovely experience, and I can see why my brother was so insistent on arranging it for me, and I thanked them both for that.
 
After that Florence took me to their local fish market, and bought some crabs and fish for lunch. My brother was going to do a BBQ at home, but then seemed to have forgotten about that, so Florence took the items to her uncle's restaurant, with instructions on how to prepare it for us.
That's where Florence was a genuinely kind person, she specially got crab for me because I'd mentioned we'd had crab back in 1999 during our previous trip and how lovely it had been.
 
Our lunch :
 
 
Sweet and sour crab. 

 
A local fish, Patin, characterised by it's fatty belly (the yellow bits you can see surrounding the fish - meant to be the tastiest part of the fish).....I wasn't brave enough to try the fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment