Monday, 21 April 2014

Travel Journal - The long drive back across the island

 
Once we'd disembarked my brother had some errands to run before starting the long journey back.
This took more time than anticipated, and before we knew we were back into rushing mode.
 
Florence was quite sweet, despite my brother being quite the arse with her at one point when she had tried to help him, and later asked for us to stop and buy Nando's for lunch before starting the journey.
My brother was just miserable about it all, complaining about how much time it had wasted and that we were now late (not that his errands that had taken two hours were to blame.....no, it was stopping off for Nando's!)
 
So we got back into the car with the Nando's, and my brother then started driving, with no one talking or eating.
An hour later Florence and I attempted to eat the, by then soggy, takeaways.
I was so angry with my brother. I didn't mind him sorting out the things he needed to, or the time it took, but there was no need for him to carry on as he did when we were 'late'.....he made it so uncomfortable.
 
So there I was on my birthday, wishing I wasn't there, wishing I was with my Trev.
I missed him and Maxine so much my heart ached, and I shed quiet tears in the back of the bakkie, until Florence mistook my blocked nose for a cold and then made a fuss of me thinking I was becoming ill.
I really missed my Trev for spoiling me, even though I always get embarrassed by it.
But it was far better than feeling like I wasn't even there.
 
We stopped off at the Kundasang War Memorial at Ranau.
(Remember my earlier reference to the death marches)
 
 

 
Of course, because we were in a rush, we never stopped off at any of the promised places on the way home.
I told my brother not to bother and he didn't!
And it struck me just how different Trevor is. I wouldn't even need to ask him to stop, never mind feeling like I couldn't ask him.....and he wouldn't mind how long it took.
And I missed him even more.
 
We got back to Beluran early evening, and went to Florence's uncle's restaurant, which made the lovely prawns that I was so partial to.
 
And that was my birthday, a non-event for the most part, and I can't say I will ever plan to be away from Trevor and Maxine again on my birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment