Words and Respect
'Words' is actually our topic for TUT this week, but I know what I want to do with my post, and it isn't this line of thought.....One of our employees came to me this morning, in floods of tears, after one of her colleagues had (yet again) sworn at her. I was really appalled and angry to hear this wasn't the first time this had happened, and even more so that he had previously been spoken to about his behaviour. Our company has a 'Code of Conduct' to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen. What is the matter with people that they speak to other people like that, with no respect or common courtesy?
(Those of you on Facebook have probably seen a clip of a white British woman mouthing off at a black passenger...with the most horrendous language I have heard in a while...the worst of it all was her little boy was sitting on her lap...what values will he hold when he's grown up one day?)
Trust and Acceptance
Trevor and I have always held 'honesty', 'love' and 'respect' as critical ingredients within our relationship, and he is one of the very few people I do 'trust' on the deepest level. He's been gently nagging me to keep on with my 'journey', so I have picked up the book and continued with it. Over the weekend I was reading a section about issues of trust and it made a lot of sense to me.
It made me realise just how badly my relationship with his folks has broken down, and left me feeling a bit 'stuck' in not knowing how I am going to move forward with it all. It is at a point now where I say very little, and share even less. I just don't have the energy for it anymore. If I do try to share, the conversation is taken away from me and turned into something else, about someone else, and then I can't be asked to try and pull it back to what I was originally trying to share.
I've never believed any person has the right to ask / expect someone to change who they are - so that leaves me with only one solution........acceptance. Just accept it, and stop wishing it would change.
Schools
We requested the Educational Psychologist visit Maxine within her current class setting in the hopes we could get some opinion on how best to move forward with Maxine. As I read the words in his report, I realised it is becoming clearer that Maxine should be within a specialised setting.
The annual review is next Wednesday, where Trevor and I need to state if we want her current provision changing, which will effectively mean the change will take place with the new school year in September 2012. I have since found out that we could, as parents, insist her back-classing continue....but I'm starting to have second-thoughts on that now. If I think of her sitting on her own on Sports Day, playing on her own at play time, I begin to wonder, why do we want to keep her there for yet another year?
It's next Wednesday, and we're still mulling it all over......
Then again, thinking back to October and the interim review meeting when the discussion was being started in earnest about the schools, and I sat there thinking 'that only gives me 6 weeks to research school options, and arrange visits, plus the budget is due and I just don't know how I am going to manage it all'......and here I am at the end of November, for the first year not having to go and present it in Germany (amazing how the Lord works), and the school research has been pretty painless, if I'm honest.
I have been going through old photos for Trev's mom, this morning, as she wants to do a collage for Maxine's Christmas gift, and I came across some of her baby photos......little did we know then what a special child we had been blessed with.


No comments:
Post a Comment