Tuesday, 21 August 2012

TUM Catch Up - Women

I was getting to a point where I started questioning the whole purpose of this blog...what I was trying to do, what I was trying to say, feeling uncomfortable at making the others feel guilty because I kept on going......and suddenly I was at a loss for words about everything....and I wasn't sure I wanted to share myself anymore. I didn't think it made a difference, and I was struggling to see the point, even on the non-TUM posts.

And then Pam stepped in just at the right moment, and reminded me it is important, and it does make a difference, even if only for a cup of coffee and a quick read. Thank you.

In trying to think of what to capture for this topic, I spent a lot of time thinking about what makes women what / who they are....what differentiates us?

And I spent a lot of time thinking about gender roles within society...the differences between English and South African gender roles. It was a comment one of the mom's made to me during Maxine's party when I took a drink to Trev as he was sitting watching the movie with the children in the lounge, saying 'I would have made him get it himself', and I found it quite bazaar, if I'm honest. To me, he had been helping all day with the party and the children, and it was only my pleasure to be taking him a glass of juice while he sat in the hot lounge.
But, equally, if I'm honest, I don't expect him to cook and clean the house or do the washing (as it quite common over here). Don't get me wrong, he does on occasion, but I don't expect, nor do I really want it, if I'm honest. And I do think my childhood with a strict Afrikaans father had a lot to do with that.

A funny tale.....my dad once took Trevor to his workshop for a 'chat', locking the door behind him. He sat Trevor down and explained to him that a woman's place was in the kitchen....it was not the place for a man (Trev had been helping me cook dinner beforehand)....still makes me smile!

How these roles have evolved over time. It's no wonder so many marriages struggle because the roles are so inter-twined now.....they're not as clear as they once were. No matter which country we live in, our cultures are so mixed and diverse now.....

Anyway....enough rambling.....first up, Claire, who took a lovely picture when she was in Poland of a picture in a museum (please read her post to do justice of the full story behind it.....well worth the read).


Next up, Pam, with a touching picture of her daughter and mother-in-law.



And, finally me......you would have laughed if you had seen me with the black bin liner on the table outside, trying to get the perfect 'drop' on the brush (and the wind trying to blow everything away!)





It's quite ironic I chose nail polish because I never wear it anymore.....
I would love to, but it's way down on my priority list.

And so, in closing, I think we can all be very proud of ourselves as women...we do a cracking job of balancing a million balls....and it's hard some days.....and when some of our balls drop, it's our friends who gently help us pick them back up....

Have a lovely week......M  x

No comments:

Post a Comment