Linda's picture first, taken a couple of years ago, on a trip to the Pilansberg:
It is a very fitting 'heritage' picture - what wonderful wildlife we have in South Africa.
Pam's picture made me smile, and is typically 'American':
Thanksgiving!
I went for food this week, because I do love South African food....from the chocolates, cold drinks, the various 'traditional' recipes......not forgetting biltong and droewors!
I had an excuse to go to the 'local' (30 minutes drive away) South African shop on Saturday so that I could buy the wors for this weeks picture. I arrived home with not only the wors, but also biltong, nik naks, ghost pops and tempos!
Whilst we have been here for 11 years now, I would still class myself more as a South African than British......the differences I felt very sharply when we first arrived here, and am still reminded fairly regularly. I was pretty naive in thinking, 'they speak English, we speak English, no problem', but I soon found out that our culture and values and life experiences make us different in many ways. And the move over here was much much harder than I could ever have imagined for that reason.
As I've said in previous blogs, I love our beaches and scenery - they are just breath-taking. And the rich diversity of the landscape and wildlife is mirrored in the people...such a mixture of backgrounds and ethnicity's.
Here is another picture I took at the weekend:
And, lastly, I love our men.......they are proud and tough and 'manly'......I like that. I don't think I could cope with a man that spent more time grooming himself than I do!
Here is my man from the weekend, living up to his nickname of Obelix!




No comments:
Post a Comment