Linda's picture is lovely, and makes me long to be back in Natal......the blue skies, fluffy white clouds, the mielie fields, the koppies....*sigh*........
I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes drive away from work, using a road which runs past some fields, so every day I get to take a deep breathe and feel grateful....especially when feeling grumbly about all the wet horrible weather we have in England :-)
So here is my choice for the week, taken in typical wet and windy weather, but of some happy, contented furry friends.
(Perhaps I should warn you that I have a soft spot for sheep.......)
Pictures that didn't make my final choice for the week, but that I liked anyway.....I was torn between the sheep versus the tree, I must confess!
Depending on the area in England, the field boundaries are made of different mediums. Down south, it tends to be hedges (like the picture above and below). Different regions use different plants.
Up north, stone rocks are used to build low walls, so the countryside has a much 'harder' feel to it. Local rock (eg. sandstone, shale etc) is generally used, which creates the distinction between the different regions (like the plants, down south).
The photo below was taken up in the Lake District. If you look behind the sheep (I did warn you!), you'll see a typical example of such a wall.
Believably, you can even go on working holidays to help repair these walls, learning the art of drystone walling!
We popped up to Stratford-Upon-Avon this weekend, and I walked past this canal, and thought how 'British' it was, and so wanted to include it. Pity there weren't any narrow boats on it.
And, finally, back to the Lake District and one of my favourite pictures (taken a few years ago).






All your pictures this week are gorgeous this week Mariette - Well Done...Lots of love
ReplyDeleteI love your photos...stunning scenery.
ReplyDeleteHi Mariette - Pam here, Linda's sister-in-law. I follow her blog religiously and loved your post this week, and your photos! They are beautiful. Reading about the walls made me think of a poem by Robert Frost titled 'Mending Wall' - I think Frost was born in the UK but lived most his life here in New England. We too have these stone walls all over the place, no surprise since this area was settled by the English! Anyway, I thought you might appreciate the poem, so here it is:
ReplyDeletehttp://writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/frost-mending.html
Hi Pam - Thank you for the comments and for the poem....lovely. I didn't know about the walls over there also.
ReplyDelete