Wednesday, 31 July 2013

South African Holiday - Part 1 - Where it began

 
So here begins the catch-up of what has been a very hectic and emotional year, but one that I want to remember. In March we went on holiday to South Africa, our first visit in 5 years. It was a wonderful holiday - in more ways than I can express. Trevor and I were honestly ready to move back by the end of it!

It's that sense of belonging that you miss......it's being with family and having a shared heritage and memories.


Maxine loved swimming the most! The last time we went back she fearlessly jumped into my brother-in-laws pool......not that she could swim! And while the rest of us were sharply inhaling in shock, Trev calmly stepped into the pool and fished her out. This time was much better for my nerves because Maxine, whilst not a strong swimmer, can at least be left to splash around.

We visited Hartebeespoort Dam shortly after arriving -  such a beautiful dam - although the smell was something else!

 
We went for a ride up the cable car ride, and enjoyed an ice-cream at the top. On the way up I was reminded of how beautiful our wonderful country is, with these exposed rocks.

 
I was quite disappointed that we never got to visit any proper game reserves, but I found enough local inhabitants waiting for me to take their picture. Here is one of my favourite pictures:



We travelled from Johannesburg down to Natal, and drove through parts of the Valley of a Thousand Hills. Natal is always such an emotional place for me - visiting my home town, and my parents old house. This time was even worse as the new owners have built a large cottage in the front garden. I was filled with such anger when I saw it. My dad would never have done that, and I felt so angry with my brother for selling it.
(Trev sweetly suggested we try and buy the property back and restore it to it's former state. I said 'no - I don't want to keep holding on to the past')



The Valley of a Thousand Hills is such a pretty area, and it was a pleasure driving through it again. I have pictures of when my mom took my gran there years ago, and I somehow felt her while we were walking through some of the curio shops.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you had a good time during your visit to South Africa. It is lovely to see our beautiful country through your lens.

    ReplyDelete